Friday, February 22, 2013


The title Glass Slipper, Gold Sandal, A Worldwide Cinderella explains what the book is about. Cinderella is a story known worldwide from country to country, although the story is changed to fit the lifestyle of the country. This book is all of those different viewpoints of Cinderella made into one story. It is still the same story plot, but it shows the diversity of other cultures. Each page is about a different place whether it be Iraq, Korea, India, Japan Ireland...etc. These different places explain one part of how the story goes according to that society. From an American perspective Cinderella had a fairy godmother that gave her a dress and carriage for her to go to the ball, but in Indonesia a crocodile came and brought her a sarong of gold...etc. This continues throughout the whole book about the different stories around the world put into one combined unique story.      


Paul Fleischman created a wonderful story that everyone knows and loves. He found a unique way to piece together this book. This book teachers children about other people’s cultures and that their perspective isn't the only one in the world. For the readers it opens up a whole new perspective of the many versions of Cinderella throughout the world. Julie Paschkis does an excellent job using illustrations to demonstrate the different cultures. The illustrations are different from what children view from other books. I would recommend introducing this book into a classroom. I would say that 2nd through 6th would benefit the most from it. Younger ones could be read to, but I think older children would get more from the story. Great book and interesting to read for any age.   


4 comments:

  1. Cinderella is my favorite princess stories ever told, and I think that the idea behind reading such a diverse book is inspiring for children. This book will bring great imagination as well as knowledge to children, I always loved reading books about different cultures when I was a child. I even liked the movies that did the story line of cinderella but did it a different way, just like the book. I really love the idea of this diversity book being read in classrooms.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like a really amazing book, and I would like to read it since Cinderella was one of my favorite fairytales when I was younger. This would be a really great book for teaching students about cultural diversity and how there can be many different takes on the same story depending on your background. Also since it is a fairytale, I think it would be a good book for encouraging the students' imaginations.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Personally, I love re-reading any story I really love because I like having a story line or visual in my mind to compare it to. This book sounds pretty wonderful actually because of the diversity side to it. It's important for kids to know, understand, and appreciate differences. I would definitely use this book in my classroom if I were teaching one of the grade levels you suggested. But still, it sounds great and it's a cool twist to the classic we all know.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Cinderella! This version of Cinderella looks great. I like that it celebrates diversity and can help in the classroom. I also like the interpretation of culture the story put out. This would be a great book to read to my children to illustrate the idea of diversity to them. I will be looking for this book at the library next time.

    ReplyDelete