Friday, April 19, 2013

Rainstorm is a picture book written and illustrated by Barbara Lehman. With this book you pretty much have to use your imagination. It has no text, and pictures are the only way to tell the story. From the pictures it tells a story about a young boy stuck in his house doing a rainstorm. The problem is he has to find things to do within the house. In the house he finds a key, which he then goes on a adventure to see what the key goes to. When he finally finds the answer it leads him in a secret passage into another world. The resolution is now he has a secret passage he goes to, and plays with the children over there.

I am not too fond of just a picture book without any text. I think it is a cute book, and gives children a chance to use their imaginations. I wouldn't suggest it for a classroom lesson, but maybe for a fun activity. All the illustrations tell a story, but it is taken from different perspectives. Rainstorm has a simple and adventurous plot, and is easy to follow.


2 comments:

  1. I enjoyed your presentation of this book. It is most difficult to read a picture book in my opinion. You definitely have to rely on the basic principals of literacy. The students and the teacher really have to stretch their imaginations with this book. The thing I like most is the many possibilities with this book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heather- I red another, similar book by this author that I enjoyed. I agree with you that it might not be useful for a normal read-aloud. But, I think that this kind of book could be useful to give a second-language learner a fun book to interact with that wouldn't tax their linguistic capabilities. I also think that this type of book is good for sequencing activities where the child tells you the order of events or highlights cause and effect.

    ReplyDelete