Friday, April 26, 2013

The Bad Case of Stripes is a children book written and illustrated by David Shannon. This book is about a girl who cares about what people think about her. She won't even eat lima beans because she thinks the other children will thinks she's weird. One morning before school she comes down with colorful stripes all over her. She goes to school and she changes patterns depending on what the other children say. (polka dots, animal print, the flag...) Throughout the book different people come and try to figure out what is wrong with her. In the end an elder lady gives her lima beans and she turns into just her. End the end she realizes it is important to be herself.
I absolutely adore this book. It is an imaginary way to show children that it is alright to be who you are, and not to conform to society. The illustrations are colorful, and catch the eye of all readers. It has words on one page, with the illustration on its own page. It is a great children book that helps teach them an important lesson.

3 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed your presentation of this book. I like the fact it celebrates diversity. It's a great life lesson as well to children and learning to accept people the way they are. The illustrations I think were my favorite and brought the story to life. I think I will use this book in my classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i LOVE this book! i remember reading it as a child. i agree with Denise in that it celebrate diversity. it i also a great way for students to see how important it is to be okay in their own skin. the illustrations helps students to see the liveliness of the story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally remember and loved this book when I was younger. It's such a great book to discuss that it isn't bad to embrace who you are. David Shannon writess and illlustrates so many amazing books and this is definitely one of his books that will always be loved.

    ReplyDelete